FISHING IN THE WHITSUNDAYS
- Recreational Fishing is permitted in most of the Whitsunday islands and no permit is required for fishing in the marine waters of Queensland.
- Whitsunday Escape does not supply fishing gear; however you are welcome to bring your own gear.
- Most fisherman find that lures towed behind the boat or dinghies are easy to manage and the most successful.
- Zoning regulations have been introduced to the Great Barrier Reef, with some impact on the Whitsundays. Click for the great barrier reef marine park web site Zoning map pdf. Further information can be accessed on the Great barrier reef marine park web site
- Recent changes have also seen the introduction of a closed season for all coral reef fin fish on the barrier reef due to spawning aggregation. Fishing for game fish is still permitted during these periods. Before fishing for any coral reef fin fish species during these months, visit the Queensland department of primary industries fishing websiteto find out more information. Currently there are no published closure dates for 2014.
- Regulations can be viewed on the DPI web site
- Spear- fishing is now only permitted in a very small part of the Whitsundays (outside the public appreciation boundary) details are on the Zoning map pdf. It would not be worth bringing spear guns as the visibility in the small permitted area is usually poor.
To buy or hire fishing gear in the Whitsundays contact: